2017 Assembly: Annunciation Columbus OH
2017 Metropolis of Pittsburgh Clergy-Laity Assembly
Annunciation G.O. Cathedral, Columbus, OH
Theme: Outreach & Evangelism
With Presentations By:
His Eminence Metropolitan SAVAS of Pittsburgh
Fr. Evan Armatas
Mr. Jamil Samara
Fr. Theodore Dorrence
Also featuring Break-Out Sessions on Subjects related to Outreach & Evangelism:
- Fr. Jim Kordaris & Mr. Stacey Stathulis on the resources available from the Archdiocesen Department and the Metropolis Coordinator
- Fr. Jerry Hall on leadership training through deep faith engagement (small group study)
- Fr. Alex Goussetis on the formation of mission parishes and the benefits to existing communities
- Fr. Demetrios Tsikouris on critical self-evaluation to help focus leaders on the mission
Also on the Agenda:
- 2018 Metropolis Budget & review of audited financial statements
- Election of Members for 2018-2020 Metropolis Council & representatives to the Archdiocesan Council
- Updates on Metropolis Ministries
- Update on the New Metropolis Center Project and collaborative work with the Carpatho-Russian Diocese at Camp Nazareth
Online Registration Now Open At: http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=bq6isscab&oeidk=a07ed8k3fca92ae99a6
Location: Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral - 555 N. High St., Columbus, OH 43215
- Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus Downtown—614-559-2000
- 501 N. High St., Columbus, OH 43215 (next to Annunciation)
- Rooms avail Wed, Thu. and Fri. nights at $129 + tax
- Make your reservation by August 28
- Group Name: Metropolis Clergy-Laity Assembly
Notes for Potential Attendees:
- Parish Delegates should plan on being present from 5:00pm Thursday (Opening Prayer and Keynote) through 1:00pm Saturday (Lunch and Closing).
- Registration will be open Thursday evening and Friday morning at the Church.
- All meetings will be at the church.
- Each parish & Philoptochos Chapter can send:
- To the Assembly: 4 voting delegates (Priest, Council President or another Council member in their stead, and 2 elected lay delegates) + unlimited non-voting observers
- To the Philoptochos Meetings: Chapter President (or her designee), 2 voting delegates, + unlimited non-voting observers
- Registration Cost for all participants (Assembly and Philoptochos, voting and observers alike): $230/person for 2 or 3 days, or $130/person for one day.
- Register online starting July 1—visit http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=bq6isscab&oeidk=a07ed8k3fca92ae99a6
- **Payment must accompany your registration.**
Per the Archdiocesan Regulations, Article 12, Section 2, the Metropolis Council will be comprised of the Metropolitan, Chancellor, up to 8 members appointed by the Metropolitan, and 16 elected members, 8 laymen, 8 clergymen. At the Spring 2012 Clergy-Laity Assembly (
1. The 8 elected lay members will be elected by the Plenary session of the Assembly. They are to be duly registered and present delegates to the Assembly (or can be excused in advance in writing by His Eminence), and in good standing with their parishes (which is already a prerequisite to be a delegate).
2. Nominations are to be made by the first day of the Assembly. A three-person Nominations and Elections Committee will be appointed by the Assembly Chair, who will then vet the nominees in consultation with His Eminence. The election will then be held at the Plenary Session via secret ballot. The term will begin with the conclusion of the upcoming Clergy-Laity Congress (July 2018, Location TBA) and will end at the conclusion of the following Congress (Summer 2020).
3. The authority to elect the 8 clergy members will be delegated to the Metropolis Clergy Syndesmos. Those 8 members will be comprised of the Syndesmos President, the four regional Vice-Presidents, and 3 additional at-large members elected by the Syndesmos.
Nominating for the Metropolis Council
Each parish and priest is being asked to send in nominations for the Metropolis Council. Nominees should include (a) a CV that includes information about their educational, professional, and Church service background, and (b) a letter from the priest indicating that they are in good standing with the parish. Please keep in mind that membership on the council will involve:
- Responsibility for the life and operation of the Metropolis and its ministries
- Active participation in one or more committees of the council
- Periodic meetings held in the Pittsburgh area (usually 3 per year)
- Responsibility to represent the Metropolis and the Council at various parishes, and in one’s day-to-day life as an Orthodox Christian
Nominations should be sent to:
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Attn: Metropolis Council Nominations
5201 Ellsworth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15232