Department of Greek Education
The Department of Greek Education for the Metropolis of Pittsburgh, under the guidelines of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, provides programs that support all current Greek Schools and provides assistance and guidance to those that wish to start or reinstitute a Greek School program. Hellenic education encompasses language development, history, culture, literature, music, liturgical understanding, and knowledge of its contribution to other languages. The promotion and continuance of this Holy Language is of the utmost importance.
Objectives of the Department of Greek Education for the Metropolis of Pittsburgh
1. To provide seminars and workshops with prominent speakers for teacher development and viewing of materials
2. To provide testing centers for National and International Exams in Modern Greek
3. To provide a directory of Greek Schools
4. To provide an online Greek language course to supplement classes or offer instruction
5. To provide a camp for children to enhance their education
6. To provide resources for classroom assistance
7. To provide new programs to promote and facilitate the learning of the Greek language
Student Recitation of Hymn to Liberty for Greek Bicentennial
As a contribution to the celebration of this historical milestone by the peoples of Greece and their descendants and all those who live the ideals and achievements of the Greek people, the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh has prepared a recorded recitation of the entire Hymn to Liberty by Dionysios Solomos - all 158 stanzas, recited by 132 students of our 17 Greek language schools - which will premiere on YouTube March 25, at 1:00 pm.
This achievement of our children, their parents and instructors was produced with love and enthusiasm and a sense of pride in the accomplishments of our heroic ancestors. The program includes a performance of the first two verses of this great poem, now known as the National Anthems of Greece and Cyprus, offered by one of our own, internationally known opera singer, Ms. Alexandra Loutsion (of All Saints Greek Orthodox Church, Canonsburg).
To complement the recitation in Greek, His Eminence Metropolitan Savas has prepared a new English translation of the Hymn to Liberty, closely approximating the original’s poetic meter and rhymes. This translation will be seen at the bottom of the screen and will be available in its complete form from the Metropolis and Archdiocesan websites tomorrow.
Special thanks to Mr. Mike Politis (of Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Church, Pittsburgh), who worked long hours to turn the many videos recorded at dozens of different times and places through the Metropolis into a single beautiful performance. This is a project which will can be viewed over and over, making the events and feelings of the first years of the struggle very vivid and moving. These are words that inspired the freedom fighters to continue their sacred efforts, and which appealed to the great powers of the world to join in the effort. Our faith, language, culture were at stake. We owe so much to those who fought and gave up everything for this struggle. May their memory be eternal! This project is our contribution and tribute to all who fought for freedom.
May our Lord and Panaghia continue to guide and protect all of us.
Ζήτω η Ελλάς! Χαῖρε, ὢ χαῖρε, Ἐλευθεριά!
Cultural Resources for Greek Education
Byzantine Music Instruction
- Archon Peter Clyde Papadakos [email protected] - Weekly: Tues. 7pm
- At Dormition of the Theotokos: 12 Washington Ave., Oakmont, PA 15139
- Dr. Nick Giannoukakis [email protected] - Weekly: Thurs. 7pm
- At Kimisis Tis Theotokou: 2111 Davidson Street, Aliquippa, PA 15001
Greek Radio Programs
- Greek Hour of Pittsburgh - WEDO 810 AM - on Sundays at 2-3p.m. http://www.greekhour.wedo810.com/
- Athenian Hour - WEIR 1430 am on Sundays at 8-9am http://www.weirsports.net (listen live)
Greek Chorus and Dance Instruction
- Armonia Chorus - Maria Stamoolis - 412.963.7283
- Grecian Odyssey Dancers - Mary Doreza - 412.371.6721
- Olympic Dancers - Demetri Pantzoulis - 412.494.7430
- AHEPA (American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association) http://www.ahepa.org
- AHFWP (American Hellenic Foundation of Western Pennsylvania) http://www.pahellenicfoundation.org
- Daughters of Penelope http://daughtersofpenelope.org
- GAPA (Greek American Progressive Association)
- Greek Room Committee - http://www.pitt.edu/~natrooms/pages/documents/Spring2009newsletterJuly_compressed.pdf
- HPS (Hellenic Preservation Society) http://www.hpsneo.org